Thursday, May 8, 2008

One step beyond(*)

Ok, after roughly one week out in the countryside again I came home yesterday and today I started my efforts again to bring KDE to compile with the brand new mingw-gcc 4.3 alpha version. Even though it has been feared that mingw-gcc might lag even further behind, the new maintainer Aaron William LaFramboise brought out a rather new release. As Aaron is a GSoC-student as I am, we can work together even better.
But now towards the facts that might interest the KDE on Windows Community:
I could build Qt with two patches and I had to disable webkit.
This first patch was due to a missing extern declaration in one sourcefile, the second one was a bit strange since it required using uint instead of quint32. The errors with webkit were not easily solveable so I will investigate them further especially as strigi fails on a similar error too. Currently I think that this is a more a mingw error but I might be wrong in the end.

To give you a more general outline:
I plan to work on mingw4 from time to time so that I will have a running KDE from mingw4 by the time KDE 4.1 gets released. KDE 4.2 should be buildable with mingw4 too and probably for KDE 4.3 we will switch completely away from mingw 3.*.

Right now I will start my GSoC project on marble so most of my time will be coding again.

So long for now, new posts will probably come in more regularly.


(*) 'One step beyond' is a song by the british ska formation Madness and just came to my mind after I got Qt building.

No comments: